I guess this is just a (positive) update to the previous post. That concluded with a comment about all good teams knowing their strengths and playing to them and that with a change of formation (away from a back 3/5 and wing-backs) I couldn’t see what our strengths might be. Well I guess that was my problem because after Colchester (yes, I know it’s ‘only’ Colchester) I think we had the insight. Like Jake Blues, I’ve ‘seen the light’.
With the 4-2-3-1 the emphasis is on the ‘3’. A flat back four, full-backs not wing-backs, which in terms of numbers we are, as things stand, well covered for: Ramsay, McNamara and Asiimwe at right back; two from Jones, Sichenje, Burke, Koumetio and Bell for the central positions; Mesik, Edwards, Bell or Enslin at left-back. A defensive midfield pairing in front of the defence is currently two from Docherty, Coventry, Rankin-Costello and Muamba. It is an area where we can strengthen - Jones was talking post-match about wanting a dominant midfielder, trialist Chalobah was impressive in the role against Colchester and would do the job Coady was doing last season, albeit with concerns over his injury record and how much he might cost in wages – but if the job is to cover defensively and win the ball and play it forward we are not desperately short.
When it comes to the ‘3’, the options would seem to be Arter, Olaofe and Fullah for the right side, possibly Leaburn too; Carey and Knibbs for the central spot; and Campbell, Alli and Grant on the left. Now the choices on either side can be flexible and interchangeable, the central role perhaps more problematic. At first sight it would seem to suit Knibbs rather than Carey – and his immediate understanding with Grant was very encouraging. My guess is that Carey will need to tweak his game, to get better at working in a three and playing in others rather than bombing forward and getting in/around the box in support of the forwards (of course we hope he doesn’t lose the goalscoring habit).
That leaves who plays up top. Current options, as and when all are fit, are Kelman, Godden, Leaburn, Mbick and Kanu, possibly Grant as well. However, the role itself can be different things. It can be primarily about getting on the end of things in the box, which would point to Godden (as he showed on Tuesday night), or it can be about holding up balls out of defence and playing in others. Then the enigma is Leaburn and the case for still getting in Dykes is, to me, strong. Opinion is clearly divided among Addicks on that front, but I suspect too many think of him as a target man with a poor goalscoring ratio. As someone who can hold the ball up and/or find others running through I suspect he could do a very valuable job.
By the time we take the field against Derby these issues will of course be clearer, if not necessarily resolved. Some will have left, some more may have been brought in. But the structure, at least the Plan A, for the season ahead does look clearer. By the time we take the field against Derby I’ll be heading back to Givry or Lyon at the end of a two-week holiday, French fires and broken ribs (don’t ask, second time this year) permitting. So here’s hoping all enjoy the summer break, despite the weather, and are ready to hit the ground running.
No comments:
Post a Comment